Last week, I made a ton of progress with creating the Nuovo WordPress theme, finally figuring out how to get scripts into the theme option page and fixing the featured post slideshow.
This week, I was able to make even more progress with the theme, mainly focused on switching the color theme based on the user preference and started working on the tablet version.
The changing the color theme was actually pretty easy. I created different style sheets for the different color themes and then created a theme option that will switch the colors based on what the user wants. It’s a pretty easy function too, which is what I like. And it’s been fun switching the colors too (see photos below).
I also began working on the formatting the version for tablets. That too hasn’t actually been too hard. Thankfully, tablets, for the most parts, aren’t too much smaller than desktop computers and considering that the actual width of the desktop version is 980 pixels and the width of an iPad is 768 pixels, the only change is moving the social icons to under the header and dividing the sidebar into two and putting it under the post area. It almost seems too easy.
Finally, I put in a user.css that allows the user to easily change the styles without combing through all of the style sheets and it also allows users to make the changes in the theme editor in the WordPress admin instead of going through the files and uploading it via an FTP application.
Moving forward, I’m still making some changes to the way it looks, mainly taking the gradients out and putting in solid colors in place of that. I think that makes it look better. Also, I’ll be moving into the mobile version of the site, which will be harder than the tablet version. I’ll be instituting the Swiper script like I did with the mobile version of the Arena Pigskin site for the home page to keep it somewhat similar to the desktop and mobile versions.
Also, I’m kind of starting on a new theme that’ll be somewhat like a newspaper, since I haven’t found anything like that in the WordPress directory. But that’s for another day.