Nitpick cleaning on one theme and starting designing another

So in the past couple of weeks, I’ve found that it’s easier to create a theme than it is to go through and nitpick and clean it. Case in point, this week it’s taken me a while to knock down the number of HTML validation errors from 160 to 91, though a good majority of that came Thursday. And that was on the homepage alone.

I assume that validation errors aren’t that exciting, but there’s some good news on the computer front.

As I’ve been working on fixing those errors, I’ve also been working on designing my next theme, Gioralismo (a working title at this point), which hopefully will turn out a lot better than Nuovo, especially considering what I’ve already learn with this darn theme.

The design process for it has been kind of a slow one so far. It doesn’t help that there are technically three ways the theme could be laid out by the user–right sidebar, left sidebar and two sidebars. So designing three templates of each page is a rather time consuming task, especially when there are almost a lot of other things that I need to do.

Still, it still should be a cool looking theme. I’ve kind of laid out the “normal” homepage in a GIMP page (below). It doesn’t look like much and the final product should look much better, but it’s something to give me and you an idea of what’s to come. And if you couldn’t figure it out, it’s supposed to look like a newspaper website, since WordPress doesn’t have very much of those (and giornalismo is Italian for journalism).

So that’s that for this week. Hopefully I’ll have more time to fix up the Nuovo theme and get it done and sent off before heading back to UT. I’ve got a little less than a month to do so.